Sale!

G&J Burns Sign

48000 20000

This Sign once on the Building of G&J Burns Ltd. It is of a heavy metal with engraved letters, showing a beautiful Patina.

Two merchants , the brothers James (1789-1871) and George Burns (1795-1890) laid the foundations for the firm as early as 1821 when they introduced a passenger service between Glasgow and Ayr. They then introduced service’s to Liverpool and Belfast in 1824 and in 1830 became partners with David and Charles McIver in the city of Glasgow with a steam packet company running passengers and mail services between Glasgow,Liverpool,Belfast,and Londonderry. In 1839 George Burns was co founder with Samuel Cunard steamship co and which won the lucrative contract to carry transatlantic mail.

The firm originally J&G Burns, became G&J Burns in 1824. George’s son John 1st Barron Inverclyde (1829-1901) became chairman of cunard and sole partner in G&J Burns . The Company was acquired by coast lines in 1922 to form Burns and Laird.

Out of stock

SKU: 145 Category: Product ID: 1282

Description

Antique Sign from 1800s once owned by Steamship company G&J Burns.

Shipping not included in price ,contact us for this information.